Thursday, May 04, 2006

Eyewitnesses to Hiroshima and Nagasaki














Damn Interesting has an article on atom bomb survivor testimonials. Here's a sample:

"One of my classmates, I think his name is Fujimoto, he muttered something and pointed outside the window, saying, "A B-29 is coming." He pointed outside with his finger. So I began to get up from my chair and asked him, "Where is it?" Looking in the direction that he was pointing towards, I got up on my feet, but I was not yet in an upright position when it happened. All I can remember was a pale lightening flash for two or three seconds. Then, I collapsed. I don t know much time passed before I came to. It was awful, awful. The smoke was coming in from somewhere above the debris. Sandy dust was flying around. I was trapped under the debris and I was in terrible pain and that's probably why I came to. I couldn't move, not even an inch. Then, I heard about ten of my surviving classmates singing our school song. I remember that. I could hear sobs. Someone was calling his mother. But those who were still alive were singing the school song for as long as they could. I think I joined the chorus. We thought that someone would come and help us out. That's why we were singing a school song so loud. But nobody came to help, and we stopped singing one by one. In the end, I was singing alone."

Some good links at the end, too, including videos of the interviews. Damn Interesting is a great blog with tons of detailed information on a wide variety of topics.

1 comment:

shawn said...

Pretty great post. It is very encouraging to go through the post for it contains information about these interesting feature. I wanted to thank you for this great read.I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out the new stuff you post.Thanks for sharing. Great websites!